Victoria's Reviews > Dream a Little Dream

Dream a Little Dream by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Jan 17, 12

bookshelves: 2012-challenge-books, simply-perfect, contemporary-romance
Read from January 13 to 14, 2012

This review is also posted on Always a Booklover.

Dream a Little Dream was amazing. It touched me in so many ways and I have to say, I loved every single moment of it. After I finished the book, all I could say was wow. Simply amazing. It was so compelling that I just could not put the book down. I could think of a thousand other things I had to do at that moment, but right then, the book just seemed paramount. I literally devoured every single word. And now and then, without any conscious control, I would start to tear. That was simply how sweet the book was for me.

The characters in the book were so real and you could just feel for them. As you read the book, you’ll feel their pain, their sadness, their love. Everything. Even the supporting characters were really interesting to read about. Throughout the entire book, I was taken on a journey. I didn’t just read the book, I felt like I was really there with them.

I would give a summary but I think this book has to be read when one does not expect anything. Only then, can the book truly be appreciated.

So let me start by saying how amazing Rachel is. Even though she faces condemnation from almost everyone, even though she has barely a few dollars to her name, she still never gives up. Her love for her son is so amazing. It really shows how much a mother is willing to give up for her children. She gives him everything. Even though she herself has no food to eat, she still makes sure he always has a full meal. And her determination to work hard, to survive is just so admirable. She is certainly one of my most respected female characters. She doesn’t put on pretences. If she needs something and it is offered, she will take it. Her pride isn’t paramount here and that just says a lot.

Gabe is a man who has lost his wife and his son. Though it happened 3 years ago, he has never recovered from it. He tries to hide away from the world and in short, he’s a completely different man than before. How would I say it? He’s kind of broken inside. But when Rachel comes into his life, it is changed forever.

I don’t really want to write about the characters, so I’m gonna keep this to just my feelings.

I really loved this book for several reasons. The love shown in this book is not any simple love. This book truly showed how love healed. I love that idea that a person can fall in love a second time even after losing his or her first love. The whole plot and storyline was very well written and it really did flow very well. The pace was good and I really didn’t find anything I disliked throughout the whole book. I was just rooting for them to give in to their desires and at last, fall in love. My heart broke when she was going to leave him and he finally realised he loved her. It was just so so sweet.

Even the roles the supporting characters played was excellent. I loved Kristy. Though she was rather weak in the beginning, I loved it when she finally had a change of mindset. And I admired her from the start when she didn’t condemn Rachel at all. She’s a fantastic character. Actually, I wished she would have her own book. Her story and Ethan’s would have been amazing! As it is, I loved the short part they had together.

Of the whole series, I personally feel that this is the best. It doesn’t just brush across events, but it really shows the reader the pain and the hurt the characters are feeling. And even when they fall in love, Susan Elizabeth Philips makes one feel that everything is perfect again. I really love this book and I was extremely touched by it. Everything about the book just seemed so real. I went through a maelstrom of emotions just reading the book. It really did touch my heart. I know I said it already, but I just had to say it again!

Alright, I made a promise to myself to keep this review short, so I’m not gonna ramble on anymore. Suffice to say, this was a really beautiful book. It wasn’t like the rest of the books at all, this one touched my heart so completely. A definite 5 stars.

P.S. I’m sorry, I really don’t know why I can’t write this review well. I really loved the book, don’t get me wrong. I just can’t write anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream a Little Dream.