Daniel's Reviews > Killer Instinct

Killer Instinct by Zoë Sharp

Jan 17, 2012

liked it
Read from January 17 to 21, 2012

Count me in for this series. I like Zoe Sharp's heroine, Charlie Fox: she's skilled in the martial arts; she takes care of her friends; and she refuses to back down from an opponent. At the same time, she thinks about the consequences of beating someone down, and--at least in this, the opening installment of the series--she hesitates before using lethal force. This compassion is refreshing, as most protagonists who know a thing or two about bare-handed fighting go through a moral crisis along these lines:

1. This person wants to hurt me.
2. I can kill this person with my bare hands.
3. Killing is bad.
4. But what else can I do?
5. Skadoosh.

There were some instances where I thought that Sharp was applying the inner conflict stuff in overly thick amounts, and some of the transitions from present narrative to flashback infodumping are choppy, like sitting in a five-speed with a novice driver. Overall, though, I enjoyed getting to know Charlie Fox and watching her learn about her limits and abilities in mortally dangerous situations. The last 20% (thank you Kindle for changing the way I track my progress in a book) of the book really pulled me in, and despite acute fatigue and a post-midnight hour (why, yes, it was a Saturday--and for some reason, it's getting harder to wile away the wee hours) I kept on trucking to the final showdown.

Major ratings to ebooks, as this format allows Sharp to keep her worthy work available to the reading public.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killer Instinct.

01/17/2012
8.0% "I think that I have finally found the female equivalent of Jack Reacher; so far, I'm into it."
01/18/2012
20.0% "This could turn out to be a smart thriller."
show 1 hidden update…