ChuCha's Reviews > Love and Leftovers

Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: fun-fun-books, cheating, poem-like, second-chances
Read in January, 2012

Love & Leftovers already had me hooked and wanting the first time I had it on my recommended book at Goodreads. But the book took me by surprise when I saw it was in verse. Okay. I had my share of verses before and I’m not really sure if I like it. But Sarah Tregay made sure that Love & Leftovers is one un-put-downable books that will leave her readers yearning for more of her works.

I love it. I love the story being told bit by bit in verses – very simple words yet it makes up a complex plot that completely had me captivated. The story is in verses (yeah, like poems) – straight from Marcie’s journal. A journal where she’d write every detail of her emotions, her pains with the separation of her parents, her sudden cross-country move that breaks her up with her emo-boyfriend and a whole lot of her friends, trying to fit in into her new home, a sorta-new relationship with a cool boy and then back in reverse. It records her bewilderment with her parents, her mother’s depression, her father’s sexuality, her own needs of belongingness and a whole lot more.
I like Marcie – yes, she made some bad decisions in her life but she feels bad about it and really willing to make up for it. She doesn’t hide anything and hated that she will keep any secret or lie about something.

Love & Leftovers is an amazing read not only for teens but those people who would love to read something new. Important themes such as teen sexuality, confusion, relationship, family dysfunction, karma and friendship are blended well into a fabulous storyline.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Leftovers.