Evelyn's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Feb 12, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction, magical-realism, from-library, read-in-2012
Read from January 17 to February 12, 2012

I surprised myself by actually managing to finish this. Book 1 I raced through, couldn't put it down, then Book 2 came up and I began to get a little fed up with how damn weird everything is. Finally, finally, finished Book 3 earlier today and I kind of feel sad that it's all over now! 1Q84 is based in 1984 in Japan (or is it an alternative 1984 in Japan?) and the books are split up over that year. The story splits itself up with the various viewpoints of the main characters and follows their lives in a frankly weird way with lots of weird things happening to them which can be interpreted in a whole host of different ways, depending how you read them. A lot of the really weird quirks in 1Q84 are incredibly subtle and I find that this forces you to re-read some chapters just to check you haven't missed anything, which is a little annoying.

Having only read one other book by Murakami, Kafka On The Shore, I feel like his writing definitely gets some taking used to and I still can't decide whether it's for me or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.