Sophie Moss's Reviews > The Mill River Recluse

The Mill River Recluse by Darcie Chan

Jan 18, 12

bookshelves: general-fiction
Read from January 17 to 18, 2012

Wow. What an incredibly well-written novel. I can't believe this is only selling for $.99. The story is captivating. The pace is fantastic. The characters are intriguing, likable and realistically flawed. The story is about a woman who suffers from social anxiety disorder and refuses to leave her house. Her fear of people prevents her from having any real relationships in her life save a life-long friendship with a good-hearted but quirky priest and a spunky, potion-making, free-spirited woman who the townspeople treat as an outcast. Despite her reclusiveness, the heroine still longs to fit in with the townspeople and she follows their lives the only way she can: by reading the newspaper, watching from her window and talking with the priest. The theme is about living on the outside, struggling to fit in, being afraid and ultimately overcoming and owning up to that fear. The ending is beautiful and fulfilling and heartwarming and I look forward to reading more novels by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mill River Recluse.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Luci Brehm I too loved the book, however, the ending was a bit too neat. she wrapped everything up in a neat little bow and I didn't think she needed to do that. I am looking forward to her next novel....I definately will read her again.

Sophie Moss I can see how you'd say that, but I was sold with the last scene where the priest goes to the post office. And I really liked the message that came across in the last couple pages. When I finished, I was smiling, which means 5 stars for me. Thanks for sending me a message on my review. It's fun to talk about books. :)