Kevin's Reviews > B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories

Jul 02, 07

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: Reader Friendly Noir Fans | Sword and Sorcery Fans
Read in May, 2007

The Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense continues it's splash into comics with this second volume of the extraordinary HellBoy spin-off.

HellBoy is retired for a while now. But the work of those fighting to protect the sanctity of life continues in this volume as Liz, Abe, Johann and Roger fight demons, a nazi, undead, a psychotic religious fanatic who can't die, and ghosts.

Though this volume has a story written by a very destructive comic book writer, Geoff Johns, it is a story of Lobster Johnson that was overseen by Mike (Mike's very protective of Lobster Johnson. That character doesn't do anything without Mike's explicit consent), and co-written by Scott Colins and therefore did not unduly suffer under Johns' "Pen-o-Death". Thank god.

Mike Mignola, Miles Gunther, Michael Avon Oeming, Brian Agustyn, Guy Davis, Geoff Johns, Scott Kolins, Joe Harris, Adam Pollina and Cameron Stewart all share writing credits in this collection.

All of these stories have the Mike Mignola feel - and proves how much these writers respect the characters and wish to keep them on the same track as before.

As I said in my other review, one of the benefits to these stories is the fact that the characters do age. I believe that's brought about a stability of growth that Marvel and DC can never attain.

One of my absolute favorite stories in this collection isn't written by Mike, and instead is written by Brian Agustyn, entitled "Dark Waters". In fact, my other favorite story comes at the end, is written by Joe Harris and entitled "There's Something Under My Bed"! Both have the HellBoy noir feel. The latter captures the concept that Good and Evil isn't something you're born into, but a choice you make, while the former captures the concept of justice.

I also love this book due to the anthology feel. I am so tired of all these comics having giant story arcs, sometimes it's just fun to read short stories that fit into 1-2 comics.

Pick this comic collection up if you haven't already!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read B.P.R.D., Vol. 2.