Asa's Reviews > Franny and Zooey

U 50x66
Jul 26, 14

bookshelves: 1001-books
Read in January, 2012

There are some books that are just easy to read, smooth and with nothing sticking out - they're interesting enough, the language is smooth, but there's nothing in them that demand concentration or is so gripping that you just have to keep reading. These are the sort of books I choose when I'm going to have short breaks or know I can be interrupted at any time, because I can put them down and pick them up again easily.

Franny and Zooey consist of two relatively short pieces about a brother and sister belonging to an eccentric family, the Glasses that I understand Salinger wrote about in other places. Franny, the sister, is going through one of those phases a lot of people do when they're young (she's college-aged) where she's discovered that most people around her are phony or hypocritical or just stupid, and is trying to get to something that feels more genuine and real to her by retreating to her parents' home and using a sort of religious short-cut from a book her two oldest brothers had. Zooey, the brother closest to her in age and himself influenced by the same brothers when he was young, is attempting to help her (after a great deal of prodding by his mother). I found the family fascinating, and the way they communicated with each other and the different relationships between them was what kept me reading, because Franny's problem by itself didn't interest me that much.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Franny and Zooey.