Peter Krol's Reviews > Pigs Have Wings

Pigs Have Wings by P.G. Wodehouse

Aug 03, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2008

I simply love Wodehouse. I haven't read a bad book by him, although I'm sure they exist. This book is so much fun, if you enjoy British humour. Here's why:

[A man and woman discussing a mutual acquaintance:]
"I was at school with him."
"You were, were you?...Did you kick him?"
"Of course I didn't kick him. I loved him like a brother."
"The chance of a lifetime thrown away," said Miss Salt with bitterness. "If Orlo Vosper in his formative years had been thoroughly kicked twice a day, Sunday included, he might not have grown up the overbearing louse he has become."
"Would you call him an overbearing louse?"
"I did. To his face."
"When was this?"
"On the tennis court at Eastbourne, and again when entering the club house. I'd have done it in the dressing-room, too, only he wasn't there. They separate the sexes. Of all the overbearing lice that ever overbore, I told him, you are the undisputed champion, and I gave him back his ring."
"Oh, you were engaged?"
"Don't rub it in. We all make mistakes."

Here's another one, describing a hung-over gentleman who is being shouted at by another man:

"The next moment, it seemed to George Cyril Wellbeloved that the end of the world had come and Judgment Day set in with unusual severity. Actually, it was his employer shouting his name, but that was the illusion it created.
"'Sir?' he whispered feebly, clutching his temples, through which some practical joker was driving white-hot spikes."

It's subtleties like this that make Wodehouse so much fun to read. As though Judgment Day could have a "usual" severity!

I can't resist adding one more:

"Good luck to your matrimonial venture. I wish you every happiness."
"Thanks."
"You'll enjoy being married. Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing."
"I say, that's neat. Your own?"
"King Solomon."
"Oh, that chap?"
"And he knew, eh? I mean, nothing much you could tell him about wives, what?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pigs Have Wings.