Rajesh's Reviews > King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror and Heroism in Colonial Africa

King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild

Jan 23, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from January 16 to 23, 2012, read count: 1

While we've all heard of the six million Jews killed in the holocaust, we seldom hear about the 10 million killed and unknown number mutilated in the "Congo free state" or for that 4 million killed in Bengal by British induced famine. This is a not surprising given that victors write history and they tend to forget their own atrocities. The western, democratic, liberal societies of today have had a lot of blood on their hands in the past.

This book is one such account. It's a complete narrative of how one Monarch, pretty much acting on his own, acquired and, without ever stepping on it, exploited a colony eighty times the size of his own country. It's very thorough, well researched and well written. It's a very sad account with not a very happy ending. It's not a light read. But I believe everyone who believes that the modern west is the pinnacle of civilization must read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Leopold's Ghost.