meredith's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Chris Crutcher

Jan 21, 2012

it was ok
Read from January 16 to 20, 2012

hmmm, kind of mixed feelings about this one. I'm not sure if I like Crutcher's writing style. But, then again, if I think of it in terms of the fact that he writes for young adults, it's probably appropriate and stylistically perfect. As an adult who likes young adult fiction, I'm still not sure I'm sold. It's almost like Crutcher is trying too hard to speak "Too Cool".

Anyhoo. Writing style aside.

The book itself. I liked it enough, enough to finish it. Liked the premise of it. But I also found some of the plot points FAR too exploitative. (SPOILER ALERT!)--> I mean, really, a dying 18 yr old kid...a teenage girlfriend who has a secret kid from a sexually abusive uncle...an alcoholic buddy who happens to admit he's a child molester, who then commits suicide? Oh, and let's not forget the bully kid with the shithouse father who surprisingly gets killed in a car crash.
Jesus, Crutcher, you like to pack your books with a punch, eh?
I reckon, personally, there was far too much gratuitous shock value in these plot points. Seriously? All these things, plus a protagonist who passes away in the end?
A bit too cheesy. Nothing seems real or believable when you decide to throw in incest/rape, teenage death, child molestation, suicide, child abuse (Sooner Cowans), and, oh yes, a crazy mom to boot.
As an English teacher of secondary schools, I would definitely not pick this book to be read.

I also believe Crutcher pretentiously tries to throw around his knowledge of politics and history and pop culture.
LAME!
that said, overall, it wasn't an entirely useless ride. I finished it, and that's saying something I 'spose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.