Jasmine Ko's Reviews > The Magic Room: A Story About the Love We Wish for Our Daughters

The Magic Room by Jeffrey Zaslow

Jul 11, 12

bookshelves: received-from-publisher, to-swap
Read from January 16 to 18, 2012

For more reviews from the bookish mama, please click here.

I absolutely loved this book. Zaslow reached deep into my feminine heart and pulled on all the strings that ties me to the little girl who wished she could grow up to be a princess. I will never forget the day that I married my husband. It was a wonderful, blessed celebration. But what comes up really close to that special moment of marrying my best friend, is the moment when I tried on a wedding dress for the first time and found "the one" for me. (It just so happened to be the first dress I put on too.)

I will never forget that moment because I was a little girl who played "bride" and pretended to get married all the time. Once in 3rd grade, my best friend and I pretended to throw the bouquet for the whole recess period. I used to draw and make my wedding photo albums of me and my crush. (I can't believe I'm admitting these things on the Internet!) I used to sketch what I thought I wanted my wedding gown to look like. The moment I put on a wedding dress, stood up on that round pedestal and just sparkled because of the little speckles in the dress... it brought me and my friend to tears. I couldn't believe the beautiful woman in the mirror looking back at me... was me. It truly was a magical moment I will cherish my heart always.

Zaslow captures this moment for so many different women and shares their stories with us in The Magic Room. Before reading this book, I worried that it might be too cheesy or corny, but Zaslow writes each woman's story honestly, but almost lyrically as well. I loved hearing all the stories - happy and sad.

He also writes about the story of the little bridal shop in Fowler, Michigan with a not so little heart and a very long history. I remember telling the clerk who helped me with my wedding gown that she must love her job and Zaslow provides an insider look to Becker's Bridal and the world of bridal shops without glorifying it too much because he shares the hardships as well that comes with a family-run small business.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I hope that you will too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magic Room.

01/16/2012 page 100