Nancy's Reviews > In the Land of Invisible Women: A Female Doctor's Journey in the Saudi Kingdom

In the Land of Invisible Women by Qanta A. Ahmed

Mar 10, 12

bookshelves: memoir, religion, goodreads-author
Recommended to Nancy by: Petra X aka Bubbles
Read from January 16 to 22, 2012

This book gave me everything I want in a memoir. Dr. Ahmed is a Muslim woman born of Pakistani parents who was educated in England and the United States. Her familiarity with American culture makes her a perfect bridge to explain her Saudi experience. Some passages seem overwritten and too flowery but at every page you sense she is writing her own experiences, not filtered through a co-writer trying to create a more standard memoir. The book covers her experiences in medicine, social life, religion, and romance in an extremely tightly controlled society. Her time in Saudi Arabia included 9/11. Her description of that as seen from Riyadh emphasizes the chasm that separates Americans and Saudis.

Even with the immense cultural differences, Dr. Ahmed sees positive cultural changes in Saudi Arabia and is hopeful for the future.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Land of Invisible Women.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Petra X aka Bubbles I loved this book.