DoctorM's Reviews > Dancer From The Dance

Dancer From The Dance by Andrew Holleran

Mar 18, 10

bookshelves: lavender-hip

I first read "Dancer From The Dance" long, long ago, in my days at New Haven. Someone at the old Atticus Books recommended it as "the gay Gatsby". It is that, very much so: a novel of doomed romanticism, memory and all its traps, and dreams of new identity. It's set in the lost NYC of the early/mid-'70s, in the gay club world that's lost almost recall. That world was alien to me, but I shared the clubland belief in the redemptive power of dance and the enchantments of beauty (female beauty, for me). "Dancer" calls up a world of melancholy dreams, of losing oneself in night and hopeless romances. It's suffused with that Japanese quality of mono-no-aware, the fleetingness of all things beautiful and earthly. Even if you were never on the gay scene, you could identify with Holleran's hero and his hopes for romance. "Dancer" has haunted me all these years, and I can still open it and feel that sense of longing and loss. Very much recommended, even it's not your world Holleran is writing about. A fine, sad, dream-touched story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancer From The Dance.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kevin DoctorM gives an excellent review.

DoctorM Thank you!

Kevin wrote: "DoctorM gives an excellent review."

Steven what a great review, especially considering the line "That world was alien to me." As a gay man, I have beem reading books involving love/beauty/ straight people etc. my whole life, and enjoyed many of them despite it not being about my own world. for another of those "alien worlds" consider the one I depict. Thanks for a great review; Holleran rocks.

DoctorM Thank you for the kind words!

I'm also quite a fan of his "Grief" and "In September the Light Changes".

Steven wrote: "what a great review, especially considering the line "That world was alien to me." As a gay man, I have beem reading books involving love/beauty/ straight people etc. my whole life, and enjoyed man..."