Libby's Reviews > The Five Love Languages of Children

The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman

Feb 03, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction, how-to, church
Read from January 10 to 30, 2012

It has some good points: the idea of love languages can be helpful in thinking about what your family members do/don't respond to and changing your own style of communicating. Also, the book has lots of good ideas for "things to try" with kids and good suggestions about managing anger and helping children learn to manage theirs.

BUT, it's very gimmicky (you can tell there are lots of parts where the writing just screams "Go buy our other 10 books in the series"--yes, I know, hyperbole), and the idea of everyone having a very definite "primary love language" doesn't seem to click with my experience. I even went online and took their test and my "primary" one only came ahead by a nose. The warning about kids not necessarily having one until around age 5 makes sense, but also makes the book less useful to me right now.

Still, it's generated good Sunday school discussion, so that counts for something. Maybe a 3.5 when we add that in.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five Love Languages of Children.