Meg Dunley's Reviews > Before I Go To Sleep

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

Apr 03, 12

bookshelves: book-club, suspense, fiction
Read from March 27 to 28, 2012, read count: 1

I was taken in straight away with the protagonist, Christine, and the confusing, dangerous life that she lived. Every day that she lived, every memory that she acquired was wiped clean as she slept through the night.

She had to rely completely on this stranger in her bed, Ben, her husband to introduce himself to her everyday as she tried to grasp what the reality was.

This is a well written first novel, packed full of suspense from start to finish. I even found myself gasp out loud at one point! I am so thrilled that this year's book club list has included such a varied group of book, introducing me to books that I may not have picked up, including this one. I was so drawn into the story, the life like a goldfish, forever waking up and having to recreate her history, that I devoured the book within 2 days. Not much happened in my house during this time. I became Christine. I think that it really takes a great writer to get the reader in that well, and this is Watson's first novel. Well done, I say, well done!

I became fearful for Christine as I learnt more of her life, as she lived like a child, trying desperately to uncover how she came to be living like this now, and with no memory that made sense. What she was being told didn't seem to add up with how she was feeling, or were they memories? Watson plays with the idea of what memory is.

It is a fun, suspense filled novel that may render you useless until you turn the final page like I did. The book, and Christine and her life, still have not left me! Wonderful. I love to read a book that can truly take me away!

Great read.

xx Meg

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go To Sleep.

03/28/2012 page 360