Rich's Reviews > Narcissus and Goldmund

Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse

Jan 17, 2012

Read in January, 2012

Inspired by Narcissus and Goldmund (01/16/12):

The greatest thing about life is mystery. All the great things in life have mystery.

Life itself, love and romance, dreams, and purpose.

Mystery leads to discovery. Discovery leads to enlightenment. Discovery is empowering and gives purpose.

This is my meaning of life right now. To enjoy the mystery. To discover. To ebb and flow and think and grow. To love alive.

Some people are borne from their mothers, other from their fathers. People borne from their mothers have an intuitive sense. "Endowed with the strength of love". The danger comes from the possibility of "drowning in the senses".

I have my beliefs in intuition for a reason. Things as scientifically dismissable such as astrology, the stars, and nature I have my faith in.

Its very possible that I'll become religious in the future. The skepticism has dropped. I can surrender, give myself, devote myself. I can have purpose. You can see the world through a window or you can be part of it yourself. I don't own anything.

To be happy is to be sensuous. To enjoy what is around you.

People in science forever talk about differences. Differences are what's important in science, the 2% or whatever in people's DNA is what makes them unique. But everyone is more the same that they are different. However, science does remember better than most. It is tried and true.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Narcissus and Goldmund.