Colleen's Reviews > Hexed

Hexed by Ilona Andrews

F 50x66
Jan 16, 12

Read in January, 2012

Hexed: Four all-new stories of magic and mayhem, edited by uncredited, listed under the first author, Ilona Andrews. Urban Fantasy, 326 pages. Paperback; anthology of four novellas.

This book contains four novellas in established series. There is one by Ilona Andrews set in the Kate Daniels series sometime after the fourth book. The second story is by Yasmine Galenorn and is set in her Otherworld series. The third story is by Allyson James and is an early Stormwalker story, and then the last (and shortest) is by Jeanne C. Stein from her Anna Strong series.

Of these authors, I've only ever read any Andrews, and of "her" (it's a husband-wife team) I've read all of the Kate Daniels books. This story takes a side track and follows two were-people on a separate adventure from Kate. Dali the tiger and Jim the panther try to destroy a curse. Like many short stories, the ending assumes too much reader knowledge that we don't have - whether due to editing or just storycrafting - but the action is good and the banter is fun.

The other three stories are fun, interesting, and do not presuppose reader knowledge of either the characters or the universe. I was interested enough in all of them to add all three series to my reading list for sometime. I'd like to try full-length novels of all of the authors, and see if I like the characters with more development and depth.

I recommend this book to Urban Fantasy readers who like any of the four authors/series mentioned and are looking to take similar writers out for a test drive.

Why I picked it: I like the Kate Daniels series, and I wanted something lighter and less demanding than a full-length book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hexed.