Samantha's Reviews > A Monstrous Regiment of Women

A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: mystery
Read from February 19 to 20, 2012

Technically, this is the second Mary Russell book, but its the one I began the series with. I started with this book because the mystery involving a church run entirely by women really interested me. Plus, I had been told that King does a good job of subtly incorporating women's history into her story-lines. This really intrigued me as I was curious to see what aspects of the 1920's era King would incorporate into the narrative.

The novel begins with Mary about to turn 21, an age she has eagerly been waiting to reach as it means assuming full control over her inheritance and no longer having to rely on the whims of her aunt. In addition to her near birthday, Mary is also close to receiving her degree in theology from Oxford. So when a friend from the university joins a church run exclusively by women Mary is fascinated. Agreeing to attend one of the sermons, Mary acts as a skeptical observer watching Margery Childe, the leader of the church, speak to and interact with her congregation. Wrangled into a private interview with the woman, Mary quickly finds herself talked into returning to the church on a regular basis in order to teach Margery another language. During these lessons, Mary begins to notice some odd occurrences involving the church and Margery. Slowly the deaths of several church members, written off as accidents, begin to surface, along with strange reports of Margery miraculously healing herself from extensive injuries. All of which leads to Mary investigating the church and its leader.

Mary was pretty kick-ass in this one. She spends a lot of the book working by herself on the case with Holmes only popping in and out of the narrative until close to the end. This is largely due to the fight they have near the beginning of the novel, but also because both Mary and Holmes are at an odd moment in their relationship and neither seem to know what to do about it. I loved Mary's internal struggle around Holmes. It really fit her character to be so up in the air concerning the potential shift in the dynamics of their relationship. Holmes own realization that Mary is seeing him differently is pretty on-key as well. Aside from all this, Mary also goes through a pretty traumatizing experience that really allows the strength of her character to shine. I was pretty impressed with how King used that experience to incorporate one of Holmes demons into the narrative without making it feel contrived or forced.

My only problem with the book came from how, at times, it lagged. Mostly, this came when the theological discussions would get a little too dense for me, but things generally picked back up pretty quick. Really, this was just an awesome read. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monstrous Regiment of Women.