Ariel Cummins's Reviews > An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace

An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler

Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: nonfiction, books-for-grownups
Read from January 16 to 19, 2012

So I just put this book on hold because it showed up in Wowbrary as a new purchase at my library (does your library have Wowbrary? It's amazing! If your library does offer it and you don't subscribe, you should! Right now!). And I put off reading it because, well, books about how to eat gracefully sometimes just don't seem as exciting as YA books about the end of the world.

But! This book was a delight to read. Almost poetic in its language, it managed to avoid the pretentious-ness bug that lots of food books get stuck with. I enjoyed the philosophy behind the book -- that waste isn't necessary when cooking. You can easily use the bits and bobbles in the kitchen to make delicious food, and eating in this graceful and mindful way will actually make you love cooking even more (and make eating delicious food so much cheaper!)

I totally recommend this book to anyone who loves to cook, or hates to cook. It's a delight to read and will really inspire you to boil a pot of water (which, Tamar Adler asserts, is the first thing you should do if you're hungry).
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Everlasting Meal.