AJ Griffin's Reviews > The Chronicles of Narnia

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

Jul 02, 2007

Recommended for: christians, people who love lions

When the Lion/Witch/Wardrobe movie came out a while ago, some dude accosted me and said "Dude, the fucking right wing media is trying to say that the Narnia books are all about fucking Christianity!!!"

No shit. I figured that out when I was 9.

But who cares? If you can't enjoy these books at all, there is no child alive inside of you. And if you've got no child inside you, you're not very much fun at all, are you?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chronicles of Narnia.

01/31/2016 marked as: read

Madison Hite Totally agree. About the child inside of you part. I haven't read the series yet, but, I'm going to soon! Hahaha

Scott Umm. Yeah. Seeing how they were written by one of the most influential Christian apologists of the 20th century!

message 3: by Anja (new) - added it

Anja I can't agree with you more. I am 33 and currently reading these books for my six year old daughter. When she wants to do something else, I just want to tell her to sit tight and be quiet, because I want to read more! lol. But in the end, I huess she have to play, and I have to wait until later before I can continue :)

Karen Read when I was 12. I got it then!

Taylor Of course they're about Christianity. Isn't pretty much everything by C.S. Lewis?

message 6: by Jordan (new)

Jordan B Watch the language. There are little eyes on hear.

Mark Anderson AJ, Jesus says that we must have the faith of a child to believe. While we (mostly) put off our childish ways, we have childlike faith.

Karis Granger Do you really have to swear?

Karis Granger And it's good that there's Christian themes. That's the point.

message 10: by Edoardo (new)

Edoardo Serpelloni no it's not. that's the point

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy Eduardo, with all the negativity in the world today, I have to ask what is the harm in a positive Christian msg? We are given free will so we can choose what or what not to believe in. Pink, I am with ya on the swearing too.

message 12: by Conner (new)

Conner It is misleading to think about this book as some sort of allegory for Christianity. While it is rich in a deep theological vision, this is not what it was ultimately intended to be. It was written as a children's book; it was written to engage the reader's imagination. It is not about Christianity. The Christian themes offer structure to C.S. Lewis' creation, but they do not define it.

Megan Melanson actually Connor this book is an allegory of Christianity. C.S.Lewis was a Christian author and all his book are about christianity. The Lion is representative as Jesus.. remember Jesus died on a cross to save his people.. Aslan dies for the same reason. Also didn't you notice the children were called the sons of adam and daughters of eve. The witch is symbolic of the devil. These things define his creation connor... the whole story is based on the story of jesus and the fight against the devil. Again, C.S.Lewis based and defined all his books with christain symbols, he just made them fun for children to read. You can try and argue the fact but I am learning this in my Childrens Literature 120 class.

Ashley Brown Mega lb,I totally agree with you. Thanks for explaining. :)

Hayden That was the whole point if this series
To tell the story of Christ in a new way
Please man, watch the language

Someonewholovesdoctorwho Thanks really didn't know that. Btw great review

message 17: by Janene (new) - added it

Janene I liked your review. Language and all.

message 18: by Conner (new)

Conner In a letter to a fifth grade class in Maryland in 1954 Lewis writes:

“You are mistaken when you think that everything in the books ‘represents’ something in this world. Things do that in The Pilgrims Progress but I’m not writing in that way. I did not say to myself, ‘Let us represent Jesus as He really is in our world by a Lion in Narnia.’ I said ‘Let us suppose that there were a land like Narnia and that the Son of God as he became a Man in our world, became a Lion there, and then imagine what would happen.’ If you think about it, you will see that it is quite a different thing. So the answer to your first two questions is that Reepicheep and Nick-i-brick don’t, in that sense, represent anyone. But of course anyone in our world who devotes his whole life to seeking Heaven will be like R, and anyone who wants some worldly thing so badly that he is ready to use wicked means to get it will be likely to behave like N.”

message 19: by Marie-Josee (new)

Marie-Josee Larouche I very much agree, wholeheartedly, with your opinion. There is still a child in all of us, we just learn to act like one in private, since society is all about being 'grown up' and acting like and adult.

Saajidah : ) i agree their is part of child in the oldest grandma

RiodranNut Watch your language dude.

Ezra Jacob Matheson Language :(

Gemma why do u all thoroughly hate the language lol. btw good opinion

message 24: by Regina (new)

Regina Phalange Agreed! And ps nothing wrong with a little swearing. Kids these days have read and seen worse. If you an adult grow up some people just like to swear.

Dylan Doud Don't say "fucking" THAT'S NOT NICE TO SAY YOU KNOW!!!!! OMG just say it was terrible. F.Y.I. I am a 10 year old kid! :(

Dylan Doud Hello!!!!!! I'm 10!!!!!! Wrong language!!!!!

message 27: by Raphael (new)

Raphael LOL WHY IS everyone saying watch your language cs lewis' wife cursed like a sailor and it made him laugh ... now we are censoring it?

message 28: by Sara (new)

Sara @dylan you shouldn't be online if you're 10 years old. Go get a responsible adult to supervise you.

message 29: by Deci Arielle (new)

Deci Arielle Tividad *slow clap*

message 30: by Janene (new) - added it

Janene :-)

message 31: by Janene (new) - added it

Janene AJ hasn't logged on to this account since 2011. Move along, children.

Sara wins.

message 32: by Bella (new) - added it

Bella I started reading the Narnia books when I was 10, and have loved them ever since. It's a great series, and even more so that it is based on the life, death, and coming back of Jesus. It made Me even happier, when I saw some on these reviws, and saw that some people agree with Me! C.S.Lewis was a great writer. Another good book by Him is Liar, Lunatic, or Lord. It's about how to see that God is not crazy. He is Lord, and He speaks truth. And, yeah, there are bits of rude words in these books. But that's because, back then, those words were not bad. They are now, but they were not then. I really enjoyed these books, and if You haven't read them, You should.

message 33: by Chantel (new) - added it

Chantel Clemente wow I had no idea will need to read the books now never really thought of it that way

message 34: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Sievers This guy wasn't the one that sweared. He put quotation marks indicating what the other guy said verbatim. They've always been a fantasy to me when I was a kid I didn't care what they related to.

message 35: by Flaminia (new)

Flaminia i love this