Marva's Reviews > A Kingdom's Cost

A Kingdom's Cost by J.R. Tomlin

Jan 20, 12

Read from January 16 to 19, 2012

I quite enjoyed the beginning of the book. I like non-romance history. First sex scene, my enthusiasm waned. Fourteen gory battles later, I jumped a couple thousand Kindle markers forward. I could barely finish.

I was disappointed. I think the gratuitous sex was unnecessary. How the historically heck do you know how randy the Scottish ladies were? That took away from the historical accuracy for me. The gory battles were probably more historically accurate, but too many of them. How about just a couple of representative blood baths and let it go at that? Besides, they were being far too harsh on the horses. I'd think the Scots would want to preserve the war horses, so would be a bit more careful about gutting them all the time.

I'm being too harsh myself. The writing is good (a bit sloppy in editing toward the end) but just a couple of things put me off.

There will be many of you who will like the book as is. Pay no attention to the woman behind the curtain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kingdom's Cost.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.R. (last edited Feb 02, 2013 11:32AM) (new) - added it

J.R. Tomlin Am I going to get reamed if I answer some of your points? I hope not.

I assume that medieval Scottish women were as randy as women anywhere, neither less nor more. They were not known for being shrinking violets as can be seen by the rather large number of bastards in Scottish history (including my protagonist's bastard son who eventually became earl of Douglas). Medieval women didn't live by Victorian standards. :)

As for the war horses, they took a huge amount of food which the Scots didn't have for them. Scots rarely used destriers. The point of a schiltron is to gut the war horse. It was one of the few effective strategies for fighting a charge of heavy destriers. But if that isn't clear, the fault is that I didn't do a good enough job of writing about it.

Thanks for the review, Marva, even though you didn't like the novel. It is in essence Medieval War Fiction. It won't suit readers who don't like reading about battles, and I can definitely understand it not being to everyone's taste.