Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > The Night Is Mine

liked it
bookshelves: books-read-2012, genre-romantic-suspense
Read from January 16 to 18, 2012

This review was posted at Under The Covers

This story started out very well for me. The cover is nice, the blurb sounds good, and when I start reading there's a kick ass military helicopter pilot female, and a hot alpha male helicopter pilot. So far, it has me hooked. I love military couples, I love kick ass heroines, and I have a thing for pilots. Maybe this has to do with my obsession with the TV show Pensacola: Wings of Gold back in the 90s. But nonetheless, I was ready to enjoy this.

Except I ran into a few problems. Captain Emily Beale goes from kick ass chick to Ms. Perfect Martha Stewart. Turns out she's practically a professional chef while she's slumming in the desert and is being called to act the part of the First Lady's Personal Chef. This is all a coverup, and she's being brought in as security for the First Lady. Who just happens to be married to Emily's childhood crush, yeah, the President.

So once I was able to put that aside, Emily and Major Mark Henderson had so much potential as a couple but I felt their relationship was never really developed. We spent more time on tactical details of flying a helicopter or mission specifics than on the actual building up of the relationships. There were times that I felt Emily still had a crush on the President and maybe that story should be developing more.

The twist at the end of the story was good though and it kept things interesting. I should've seen that coming but I didn't. In the end, Emily and Mark do find the traitor and find that they can make a life together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Is Mine.

01/16/2012
8.0% "I'm a sucker for A) A military couple 'cuz they're both badass B) Pilots!"
01/16/2012
15.0% "Well that's just kind of f**d up!"
01/17/2012
38.0% "I don't like the First Lady!"
01/17/2012
44.0% "He tasted most definitely of man. Man with a capital M and an exclamation point besides."
01/17/2012
48.0% "Awww but aren't the big bad alpha males so cute when they fall for a girl?" 6 comments
01/17/2012
70.0% "I don't like that First Lady! At all!"
01/18/2012
87.0% "Errrrrr what's with the fade to black?"