Lightreads's Reviews > Friday's Child

Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: fiction, historical, romance
Read on January 01, 2012

Oh God, this was so uncomfortable. It's one of the ones that starts with a marriage of convenience, and then the romance slowly develops after. Which first of all is not my kink (and if anyone who digs it can dissect the appeal of the kink for me, I'd love to hear it, because several people have tried and it has never worked). But also, this heroine is so sheltered and young and naïve, it is just *twitches*.

It's supposed to be about them growing up together -- she's young and unworldly, he's young and self-centered. And it's about them being the making of each other -- she learns to be smarter about people . . . ish? And he learns, uh, not to gamble irresponsibly or something. Except he learns this because it's so important for him to be responsible so he can take care of her, you know the little woman, she needs so much looking after, and the romance mostly consists of her slavish devotion to him, and it's just. The whole thing. So fucking uncomfortable.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Friday's Child.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lightreads Yes! That is so very trufax!

I never could like Mansfield Park either, not coincidentally.

Chrysoula Tzavelas I've listened to Friday's Child twice and I take absolutely all of my pleasure from whatshisface's friends. In fact, each time I go through it I pretend it's a Regency version of The Three Musketeers. I can't bring myself to read any of the other Heyer marriage of convenience ones, though.

By the way, I think I read Venetia because of your review. Thank you.

Lightreads I am somewhat terrified to revisit Emma. I adored it as a young teen, but strongly suspect it will give me the creepy crawlies now, for above reasons.

message 4: by An Odd1 (last edited Jan 18, 2012 06:24PM) (new)

An Odd1 Heyer did start writing about a century ago. But so did Doyle. I probably wouldn't like Georgette as well as I used to.