Gary the Bookworm's Reviews > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

Jan 16, 2012

Read from January 16 to 18, 2012

Photobucket Pictures, Images and PhotosThis is a wonderful wrap-up for a terrific thriller trilogy about female empowerment and government overreach. If you lack a background in the politics of Sweden (practically all of us) things get a bit confusing.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
If you can get past the pedantic explanations, which are mercifully succinct, and you don't mind some unnecessary descriptions of what characters are wearing or what they're having for breakfast, then you are in for one heck of a read. Things pick up halfway through the second in the series and take off from there. While we are reading about Lisbeth's struggles to clear her name and punish her tormentors, we are also privy to an artful description of her developing humanity. She evolves from an isolated iconoclast into someone who craves relationships and seems capable of sustaining them. I found it tremendously rewarding, both as a cautionary tale about the forces of evil in a modern democracy and as an exploration of one woman's quest to understand herself.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

01/16/2012 page 57
10.0% "So far this is great. It picks up where the last one leaves off without missing a beat. I can't put it down..."

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Felicia Me too! Listened all day! Almost done.

Gary  the Bookworm I'm obsessed I'm going to be sad when I finish it. I hope they work out there differences (his heirs) and publish the fourth. I read somewhere that he had planned to write 10 in the series. He should have stopped smoking and watched his diet!

Felicia I had heard that his partner wrote them with him but the estate has the rights and will not allow her to publish anything! Marriage pays!

Gary  the Bookworm Same sex or not!

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Sounds like a must read. I'll bet you were so taken with Lizbeth you read until the wee hours or delayed lunch. Lol!

Felicia Suzanne,

I don't know if you are speaking about Gary, but the comment certainly applies to me!