Ryan's Reviews > The House of Djinn

The House of Djinn by Suzanne Fisher Staples

819178
Jul 09, 08

Read in July, 2008

I have waited for this book for about 10 years - excited and apprehensive about reading it.

At first, I was a bit disappointed but after I finished I realized the book was not just a story and not just the resolution of the first two. It is a choice - for Pakistan, and even Afghanistan. Pakistan must choose to embrace the positive and nurturing old ways, accept the positive changes and ideas that come from outside, and blend the two in a manner unique to Pakistan. Perhaps the best word is moderation. It is not good to do only what one wants but it is not good to always follow the rules. Rules have to be questioned and evaluated regularly, and it is possible to balance one's desires with one's obligations.

The story line is less robust, the descriptions paler, and there may be a few inconsistencies (as if the author forgot some of what she'd written previously - minor details only, but I'd just finished reading the first two books so they were fresh in my mind) but was not unrealistic. There was no stunning resolution of the story lines from the previous books; the resolution was acceptable and perhaps the only one possible given the state of the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Djinn.