Richard Derus's Reviews > The Poet

Jan 16, 2012

liked it
Read in August, 2010

Rating: 3.5 very pleased stars of five

Connelly's Harry Bosch series will either make you want to read this book, or run from it. I liked the Harry Bosch mysteries well enough, but I really respond more to Jack McEvoy, Denver journalist and crusader for the rights of victims of crime.

This is the first appearance by McEvoy. He's hot on the trail of a cop-killer, one whose talent for murder makes him able to turn a crime scene into a suicide scene. Jack's brother, a homicide cop, is dead...and naturally Jack wants to know how the current spate of killings relate to the Poet, as this serial killer is known.

What happens next is everything! Connelly uses the now-mundane Internet and email (how quaint!) to give the story immediacy and scary new dimensions, and those tropes don't stand up well as stand-alones. Connelly, however, didn't graft them onto the story he told, he made them part and parcel of the case from the get-go. It's very well-built stuff, as one would expect from this capable author.

What's not so exciting is the plot resolution, but hey...at least it's not *bad*, just *expected*. I for one felt no sense of "...wha...where...HUH?" that marks out the very best of thrillers. But it's streets away from being blah! Just not...all the way, if you know what I mean. Read and enjoy. Just don't expect to need to do sock patrol after you're done, they won't be blown right off.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poet.

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent Just don't expect to need to do sock patrol after you're done, they won't be blown right off.

Well done, sir.

Richard Derus Dan wrote: "Just don't expect to need to do sock patrol after you're done, they won't be blown right off.

Well done, sir."

Thank you, my good man.

message 3: by Donald (new)

Donald Armfield I enjoyed the Harry Bosch series as well did the new one come out this past October?

Richard Derus Donald wrote: "I enjoyed the Harry Bosch series as well did the new one come out this past October?"

Not sure if it was October or not, but it's out now and was for Xmas.

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Agreed Richard: the ending to this one was a let-down--hysterical and useless, if I may borrow the phrase.

Apatt Great review, Michael Connelly is one of the very few non-sf/f authors I read regularly.

Richard Derus Glad you liked it!