Fallon's Reviews > Dark Lover

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: kindle, paranormal, pnr, vampire
Read from January 16 to 19, 2012

I have heard so much praise for the Black Dagger Brotherhood series for a while now, and I have just been so reluctant to pick it up. Mostly because when so many people hype it up I tend to get really disappointed. Was the story a bit cliché? Well, yes, but the writing is good enough and the characters likeable enough that it didn't matter that you knew how this story would end. Well, kind of end at least. I liked Wrath and his quirks and I like that dark mystery that's behind him, but really I'm interested to pick up the third book because it goes into the character of Zsadist, and he just seems like the most interesting of the lot. I was not interested really in the fact that our two main characters (Wrath & Beth) wanted to jump each other at first contact, but there you go with cliche again. I did however like how the chapters went with different views and the story wasn't all about our two love birds.

I believe this series will be a fun one, and the more I talk to people about it, the more I'm interested in picking up the next book, and as it happens the paperback of book 2 arrived in the mail yesterday. Is this book going to be for everyone? No, there are some steamy scenes in there that will make some folk uncomfortable and some people won't like the cliché's in there, but over all it's a good book and a good story, and honestly the sex scenes weren't as graphic as I thought they'd be. Always be wary of hype, because a lot of times you'll be disappointed, but in this case I was pleased to find out the book did match up (mostly) to the hype.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lover.

Quotes Fallon Liked

J.R. Ward
“I'm going to talk to her."
"And how's that going to go? You're just going to walk up to her and say, 'Hey, I know you've never seen me before, but I'm your dad. Oh, and guess what? You've won the evolutionary lottery: You're a vampire. Let's go to Disneyland!”
J.R. Ward, Dark Lover