Jennifer Rayment's Reviews > The Midwife of Venice

The Midwife of Venice by Roberta Rich

Jan 19, 12

Read from January 16 to 19, 2012

The Good Stuff

Fast paced and intriguing, which surprised me
Likeable realistic characters that you cheer for that they will be able to overcome the obstacles and reunite
Storyline switches between Issac and Hannah's POV - which keeps you intrigued as many of the chapters end with an almost cliffhanger like ending and than it switches to the other character.
Didn't want to put the book down
Some beautiful touching moments that made me tear up
Author has a gift for making you see the landscape and feel the mood of the story
Obviously well researched
It still astounds me how often the Jews have been persecuted and this story brings more of these instances to life

The Not So Good Stuff

Took me a chapter or two to get into the story which might put off a more reluctant reader

Favorite Quotes/Passages

"Do all Jews reply to a question with another question?

"Is there a reason they should not?"

Gertrudis gave a a laugh that seemed to issue from deep within her."

"This is your last chance. Will you sign?"

"When all the teeth have fallen out of my head and my beard is down to my waist," Isaac answered

"Then my friend make peace with that harsh God of yours. This island will be your graveyard."

"And the Society for the Release of Captives offered me my freedom months ago if I signed a divorce. But without you, what was the point of freedom?"

Who Should/Shouldn't Read

Perfect beach or cold winters night read
Definitely for lovers of historical fiction especially Jewish historical fiction
This is one that anyone can enjoy even younger readers 13+

4.75 Dewey's

My sister lent this to me because she really enjoyed (And put to the top of my TBR list because of the Random Reader Historical Challenge)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midwife of Venice.

01/19/2012 page 250