Iowill's Reviews > Bottlemania: How Water Went on Sale and Why We Bought It

Bottlemania by Elizabeth Royte

Jun 25, 2009

Now I officially rank Poland Springs with Starbucks in the files of viral, insipid, conspiracies to sell shares of 'local' and/or privatize what should be universal.

Good read. Enjoy it with a fresh, icy cold glass of tap water.

A year after I read this book, and used it to teach several sections of undergraduate classes, my lovely and brilliant wife bought me a birthday present....a 'home carbonator', which allows me to use tap water (that has been filtered in a low-footprint way) to make quart after quart of fizzy water. Each gas container makes roughly 60 quarts of cold, clean fizz....and I probably drink 4 or 6 of these each day. Gas containers are recycled directly in pre-paid UPS cases...and the carbonator units can be used with either glass or plastic bottles that fit a specific unit. I use glass. I used to buy and haul as many as six 12-packs of aluminum canned fizzy water each week...amassing huge sacks of cans to be taken to redemption centers. Now I don't.
Since I don't drink alcohol or soda pop, but do love cold, carbonation...this...is...a...godsend -- especially when you live in a town with tap water that, while much improved in the last 20 years, could be reliably described as "eau de public swimming pool", which is to say my tonsils are intact, but probably blond.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bottlemania.