Kruti's Reviews > Revealing Eden

Revealing Eden by Victoria Foyt

Jan 16, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, for-review, dystopian-post-apocalyptic, reviewed, a-z-challenge-2012
Read from February 18 to 23, 2012

This book is one of the strangest books I’ve read so far. The premise of this book really captivated me in the beginning but by the end I couldn’t help but feel that the execution could have been much better.

Imagine a world where everything you know and perceive to be is turned on its head...add a blend of DNA splicing and a hint of forbidden love. What do you get? Revealing Eden.

The story takes place in what feels like the very near future, where a ‘Great Meltdown’ changes the environment for the worse. The destruction of the environment leads to radiation and soaring temperatures and as a result Coals (dark skin) become valued more than Pearls (white skin). This in turn creates a caste system where the few Pearls are near the bottom of the power structure and Cottons (albinos) are murdered due to their skin.

The modified concept of beauty and the caste structure was intriguing. However, I felt that the story could have been much improved – for example, explanations and descriptions were key ingredients but were lacking in this novel. There were many parts where I found myself disorientated and full of questions. I also found the writing to be choppy, especially with all the constant classification of animals and plants by their Latin name. Furthermore, I couldn’t seem to relate to Eden as a character. She was naïve, insecure and too self-absorbed for my liking. I felt that the romance wasn’t well written either. There was nothing but lust on Eden’s part and her behaviour was too erratic. She would spend a long time describing how she felt about Bramford, however in the next moment, she would complain about his character and how much she despised him. She also makes a lot of stupid mistakes and continually put herself and those around her in danger.

Overall, the idea behind the book had much potential, however the lack of details made the overall story a little confusing. Although this book may not have been for me, there is much room for it to grow and it may appeal to you.

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revealing Eden.