Kira's Reviews > Back to Work: Why We Need Smart Government for a Strong Economy

Back to Work by Bill Clinton

Jan 16, 12

Read in November, 2011

It’s rather odd to inaugurate my presidential reading with Back to Work, since far more interesting and memorable books have been written by holders of the office—Obama’s The Audacity of Hope and Clinton’s My Life among them. At the same time, I wish there were more opportunities to read a politician’s general worldviews in fewer than 200 pages, with supporting data, examples and an extremely limited amount of doublespeak. Way back in the day, I somewhat lampooned Arianna Huffington for wasting book time on ideas that might have been better expressed on her own eponymous website. Ironically, while Clinton’s writing style in Back to Work is very similar to Huffington’s in Third World America, here I found it a pleasant surprise, perhaps because I’m so unaccustomed to directness from our nation’s leaders.

I wouldn’t say run out and buy this book, because while enjoyable, it’s not exactly a page-turner. But it is a nice breath of fresh air, a voice of reason from someone who actually has run the country, and pretty well at that. If you want to give yourself a little hope, that they’re not all arrogant windbags, or right-wing Christian nutjobs, or ideologically endearing (but totally un-electable) grandpas, then maybe this is a good book to read. We miss you, Bill. Cigar fetish and all.

[FULL REVIEW]
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back to Work.