Mike Rogers's Reviews > The Confessions of Max Tivoli

The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer

Jan 16, 12

Read in January, 2005

Max Tivoli begins life as a young man in an old man's body and his confessions tell what it is like to grow younger as he grows older. In other words, he gradually gets smaller, regressing from a man of 60-something to a young boy. It's an interesting way to frame a story, much less a love story, which is what this book is.

Max meets the love of his life, Alice, when he is about 16 but looks like an old man. This rather perverted situation ends with Alice and her mother moving away after Max declares his love. Later, he is lucky enough to find Alice again, and this time their ages are roughly the same. They get married but, despite the fact that he grows younger, she leaves him for another man, but not before getting pregnant with their child. Max then tries to reconnect with his family, finally catching up to them again when he is around 12 years old and that's the only bit of plot I will reveal here.

I will say however, that this story struck me as being the confessions of a selfish, pathetic man. Max is only ever concerned about himself and his great love of Alice. I found it sad that he caused so much pain to Alice and the others around him in the pursuit of his own personal happiness.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confessions of Max Tivoli.