Anjana's Reviews > Death and the Girl Next Door

Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
5741554
's review
Jun 21, 12

Read on June 20, 2012

When I found out that Darynda was writing a young adult series, I literally squealed in joy. Not because it's young adult but just because it's another book by Darynda. She's definitely the coolest author I know and one of my favorite authors EVER.
Going in, I knew that it was going to be awesome and I was so right. I finished this book in one go; I stayed up until 3 AM reading it because I just. couldn't. put. it. down.

Lorelei's parents went missing when she was a child. No one knows what happened to them, they just disappeared one day. It's been years since the incident and on the anniversary of the day her parents went missing, a new boy shows up at school; A ridiculously hot, mysterious boy who's pretty much the epitome of tall, dark and handsome and ever since he popped up, things around Lorelei have gotten really weird.

Death and The Girl Next Door has all the awesomeness, if not more, of Darynda's Charley Davidson series. Just as I expected, Lorelei is a witty, smart, fun and kick-ass protagonist.
I found her thoughts/narration endlessly amusing and was laughing out loud so many times while reading this book. Lorelei and Jared literally had me glued to the pages. They're the kind of characters that just draw you in; especially Lorelei, who you can't help but appreciate for being so real.

You know how every author has a particular strength such as character development, writing style, plot etc? Darynda's strength(s) is all of them. This is one of those incredibly rare books where I found myself attached to not just the protagonists but even the supporting characters. Glitch and Brooklyn are amazing best friends and along with Lorelei, the three of them make an incredibly cool team that makes you wish you were a part of. As for the story - there isn't a single cliche moment in it. It's unique in a way that only Darynda can make it with her humorous and entertaining writing.

With a strong plot, sexy romance, brilliant and lovable characters, Death and The Girl Next Door is pure epicness all-around. There's so much more I want to know and I absolutely cannot wait to read the next book in this series!
4 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death and the Girl Next Door.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Zemira Warner Now I definitely have to get it. :)


Anjana Zemira wrote: "Now I definitely have to get it. :)"

=)


Zemira Warner Is there a love triangle? I figured since there are two guys on the cover.


Anjana Zemira wrote: "Is there a love triangle? I figured since there are two guys on the cover."

Thank God, there isn't. I thought there might be too but there isn't one..even though it seems like it at first. Darynda is awesome!


Zemira Warner Ok. Thanks for the info. I agree. I've only read First Grave on the Right and the short story(1.5). Darynda writes the funniest lines. I liked Charley. Need to read rest of the series soon,while I'm in the mood for a light book.


Anjana Zemira wrote: "Ok. Thanks for the info. I agree. I've only read First Grave on the Right and the short story(1.5). Darynda writes the funniest lines. I liked Charley. Need to read rest of the series soon,while I'..."

yeah? you should totally read the rest because they get better with each book. Third Grave was fantastic. I think I gave 4/5 for First and Second but Third got 5/5 :) because the story developed much further.


Zemira Warner I also gave 4 stars to the first book. Hmmm...Need to push them up on my TBR pile. They are first on the list for adult urban fantasy.


Anjana Zemira wrote: "I also gave 4 stars to the first book. Hmmm...Need to push them up on my TBR pile. They are first on the list for adult urban fantasy."

You've read the Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning right? That's an awesome adult UF too.


Zemira Warner No,I haven't. *blushes* I am planing to order those books but always manage to find something else more important. You know how that goes. I have a feeling Barrons will rock my socks off so I want to buy them,not read them as ebooks.


Anjana Zemira wrote: "No,I haven't. *blushes* I am planing to order those books but always manage to find something else more important. You know how that goes. I have a feeling Barrons will rock my socks off so I want ..."

Oooh yeah he will. I read them as e-books first and then ended up buying all the books cause I wanted to own both :P


Zemira Warner Hah! I knew he was a devil. Man,I can't wait to meet him. :D


Anjana Zemira wrote: "Hah! I knew he was a devil. Man,I can't wait to meet him. :D"

let me know how u like it :)


Zemira Warner I have like 6 or 7 books to pre-order for July and August. September is empty. So,I'll probably order them then.


Anjana Zemira wrote: "I have like 6 or 7 books to pre-order for July and August. September is empty. So,I'll probably order them then."

awesome :)


message 15: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Bielman Hi Anjana! I so need to read Darynda's Charley Davidson series, but now I think I'm going to read this one first. Thanks for the recommendation!


Anjana Robin wrote: "Hi Anjana! I so need to read Darynda's Charley Davidson series, but now I think I'm going to read this one first. Thanks for the recommendation!"

Hey Robin! I'm glad you like it :) but you should definitely read Charley Davidson, it's awesome. Also Fever series by Karen Marie Moning if you haven't read it already but that's adult urban fantasy.


message 17: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Bielman I love adult urban fantasy, too! And so funny you mention Karen Marie. I have Shadowfever sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read! Have you read any of Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books? It's of one my all-time favorite series. (Also Thomas Sniegoski's Remy Chandler series.)


Anjana Robin wrote: "I love adult urban fantasy, too! And so funny you mention Karen Marie. I have Shadowfever sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read! Have you read any of Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books? It's of..."

No but I'll add them to my list right away. Shadow fever is the last book.. Ooh please let me know what you think after you read the fever series.


message 19: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin Bielman I thought Shadowfever was the last book. My husband bought it for me because he thought it was something I might like. I'll start with Darkfever and definitely let you know what I think. Gads, I need more hours in the day so I can read more! There are sooo many books in my TBR pile!


Anjana Robin wrote: "I thought Shadowfever was the last book. My husband bought it for me because he thought it was something I might like. I'll start with Darkfever and definitely let you know what I think. Gads, I ne..."

I know what you mean. I've around 5-6 books from Entangled alone that I'm hoping to finish this week.. God knows when I'd be able to read the books I've bought. Turns out Jim Butcher's Storm Front was already on my TBR. I've added A Kiss Before the Apocalypse to my TBR too, hopefully I should be able to read them soon. Thanks for the recommendations =)


back to top