Sarah's Reviews > Partials

Partials by Dan Wells

Aug 19, 2014

bookshelves: dystopian, favorites, heroine-to-beat, series-i-must-finish
Read from March 13 to April 02, 2012

This review is originally posted at Smitten over Books. Actual score 4.5.

Warning: This review was done immediately after finishing the book...at 4 AM. Needless to say, I'm still gathering up my brains on the floor, I think I stomped on it a few times.

So what to say? First of all, I think I really need to say that this was one of the best dystopian books I've read for a while now. I was mindblown by everything, but let's backtrack a little shall we?

In Kira's world, no newborn survives.The RM virus made it that way. In an Isolation war fought over by humans and Partials--genetically engineered superhumans, America won but the world was destroyed. The RM virus was deployed, millions died and only thousands of people survived. Now living in a world post-Isolation, The Senate does it best to strive against the slowly dwindling population by the Hope Act in which they established a certain age for females to reproduce.

It's 11 years now and it's still not working. A civil war is brewing because of the Voice and the people are getting restless due to the attacks from them. Kira is a medic and has seen enough newborns die. When one of the most important person in her life got pregnant, she vowed to find the cure for the virus to save her baby before it's too late.

Crazy plan, dangerous undertaking, one epic capturing after, and we found ourselves a one heck of a YA dystopian novel.

You know what I liked about Partials, there was no "romance-ing" that happened here. Sure, Kira has a boyfriend in the persona of Marcus, (which by the way totally has a rocking sense of humor, most of my snorts came from him) but it was almost an afterthought. The story doesn't center from it at all.

So you ask, what made this story incredible then? Well I don't know about you sister, but if the medical stuff, crazy adventure, great bunch of characters, dash of political intrigue, and kick-butt heroine, didn't make it for you, I don't know what will. Because I'm telling you, it was like the whole book was rigged with C4 explosives and every end of the chapter was the trap button.

Being on the medical professional field myself (well, I'm still studying), I was really engrossed by the whole virus thing. I could really relate and I even got a few I told you so on the first few chapters.

Partials has the aura of Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant minus the zombies. The twists and turns just keep coming left and right, you just have to hold on to keep from being overthrown into a sea of nothingness. It was packed-full of action, mystery-driven, and it will keep you up at night. I know I need to sleep but I seriously need the next installment right now.

An advance copy was provided by the publisher at no cost via Netgalley.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Partials.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Dan Wells
“Happiness is the most natural thing in the world when you have it, and the slowest, strangest, most impossible thing when you don't. It's like learning a foreign language: You can think about the words all you want, but you'll never be able to speak it until you suck up your courage and say them out loud.”

Dan Wells
“Each life has a different purpose, and some people can find their purpose more easily than others. The key, the most important thing you can ever know, is that whatever your purpose is, that's not your only choice"
"No matter why you're here, no matter why any of us are here, you're never tied down to fate. You're never locked in. You make your own choices, Kira, and you can't let anyone ever take that away from you.”

Dan Wells
“I need a sample of your blood,' said Kira.
Marcus raised an eyebrow. 'I didn't know we'd reached that stage of our relationship.”
tags: humor

Dan Wells
“Well, thanks for not shooting anyone, I guess", said Marcus. "My contribution was to somehow refrain from peeing myself. You can thank me later.”
tags: humor

Dan Wells
“There are some things more important than ourselves - more important than the limits of the present, and the whims of the now. There is a future to build and protect. And if we're going to make that future as reality, we have to stop fighting among ourselves. We have to end dissent whenever we find it. We have to trust one another again.”

Dan Wells
“Life comes from death, and weakness teaches us strength.”

Dan Wells
“I wanted everything to stay the same, but you wanted things to be better, it's just...going to be a whole lot worse for awhile first. And I think I knew that, and I was scared of it." - Marcus”

04/02/2012 page 200