Jim's Reviews > Newjack: Guarding Sing Sing

Newjack by Ted Conover

Jan 16, 12

Read in January, 2012

This is an interesting book about life inside prison by one of America's most innovative authors/journalists.

Conover made numerous requests of corrections authorities to visit Sing Sing, one of New York state's (and America's) most notorious prisons. He was denied time and time again any opportunity to visit, or interview inmates, officers, etc. Conover, unlike most writers, who would have given up and picked a new topic, applies for admission to New York's correctional officer training academy and is selected to go through the two-month training. He is eventually assigned to Sing Sing.

The book covers the nearly one year that Conover served as a corrections officer at Sing Sing.

It' s an honest look at incarceration in America, our nation's burgeoning prison-industrial complex, and how life in a prison, whether an inmate, or as an employees, alters your perception, and who you are as a person.

I'll share with you that I once worked at a medium-security prison in Westville, Indiana for four years, as a med-tech, and it changed how I view prisons. Sadly, we keep building them, locking people up needlessly, and in many parts of the country, prison-building constitutes economic development.

A first rate read
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Newjack.