Jeann (Happy Indulgence) 's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

May 16, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, favourite-books, fairy-tales-retold, 5-star
Read from May 02 to 16, 2012

I started reading Cinder with the expectation that it was going to be pretty much a straight retelling of Cinderella but with the whole Cyborg twist to it. I was surprised to find however, that it is basically a story on it's own with the fairytale inspirations sprinkled throughout it. Fair enough, there's an Asian Prince, a ball, an evil stepmother, but there's also the New Beijing setting! An evil Lunar Queen! Prince Kai! And there's also Cinder, who is just so charming, witty, kind, and head-strong.

The characters within this book are so incredibly charming that you can't help but love them. Iko is a stand out for me, she's a cute little robot that believes she's a human. Prince Kai is persistent, honest, caring, and handsome. The evil stepmother and step sister played their parts well, but did not grate so much as the evil Lunar Queen.

Surprisingly, it's not all these things that automatically led to the 5 star rating for me. It was the sudden moment when I realised that the book featured a heavy similarity to my favourite childhood cartoon - Sailor Moon! You've got the evil queen who wants the prince for himself, the Neo Tokyo setting, the headstrong but lovable main character, and even the palace politics. From reading other reviews, it appears that Marissa Meyer is a huge Sailor Moon fan and that is absolutely awesome!

Despite all of that, there are a few downfalls to this book. Firstly, the predictable storyline kind of ruins any sort of major reveal later on. Being inspired by fairy tales sort of chains you in a certain corner, where certain things need to happen in the book. There's also an incredible lack of world building, considering the amazing world that Marissa has created. I did find that there were a few details missing, which I'm glad the free prequel has filled in for me.

These however, won't decrease my love of the book. I'm just left with such a feeling of warmth upon finishing it. It's such a charming little tale, with so much love put into it. I definitely recommend it for anyone who loves a good read.

Check out Happy Indulgence for more reviews!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

05/13/2012 page 78
show 2 hidden updates…

Megan Sanchez Too bad we're going to have to wait until next February for the sequel! This was the most fun I've had with an audiobook in a long time. Prince Kai... *swoon*

Jean Glad you liked it. I rated this one 4.5 stars because of the predictability, but I find myself still thinking about it. I may have to bump it up to 5 stars. I totally missed the Sailor Moon connection, but now that you mention it, maybe that's why I liked it so much. I can't wait for the next book!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence) Ahh what a long wait! Prince Kai is definitely swoonworthy!

The Sailor Moon thing struck me suddenly during the scene at the ball, where Cinder was facing the Lunar Queen. It just reminded me of the same scene in Sailor Moon where Darien was protecting Serena against that attack on the moon.

Megan Sanchez Marissa Meyer actually used to write Sailor Moon fanfiction!

Jean Megan wrote: "Marissa Meyer actually used to write Sailor Moon fanfiction!"

Well, that totally explains it then. She has good taste. : )

Jeann (Happy Indulgence) Ah no wonder, that does make sense!

message 7: by Gera (new) - added it

Gera I've kept passing up this book, but enjoyed your review! The fact that it has a Sailor Moon feel to it, def intrigues me! Sailor Moon fan over here!! I can't wait to pick up a copy!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence) Ooooh yes I wanted to be like her when growing up lol. Thanks for your comment, you'll love this book too then :)