Sam's Reviews > Immortal City

Immortal City by Scott Speer

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: arc-or-galley, fantasy-or-paranormal, romance, paranormal
Read from February 21 to 26, 2012

Scott Speer delivers a wholly different sort of angel story by combining the traditional paranormal fantasy with the glitz and glamour of celebrity culture. In Immortal City, angels are not just angels – they are the faces of brands, the models on billboards, the famous stars that make the news. By and large, the angels are worshipped by the ‘ordinary’ people. It’s not uncommon to hear someone squealing over a particularly good Save they saw on SaveTube, nor is it anything less than expected to find girls shrieking over the angel heart-throb that is Jackson Godspeed. Only a small fraction of citizens in Los Angeles - quite literally the City of Angels - are indifferent to their perfect looks and flashy cars. Among them is a Maddy Montgomery.

I had an instant appreciation for Maddy’s character, simply because she was unfazed by all the trivial nonsense that others were fixated on. Like her best friend Gwen, for instance. Right there, side by side, we have two characters that range from different ends of the spectrum. Gwen is the definition of a Gossip Girl character, while Maddy is, well essentially, something I can relate to. She has no interest in keeping up to date with latest buzz surrounding the hottest angels and she most definitely does not have an interest in Jackson Godspeed.

Well, not until he turns up at her uncle’s diner… This is the notable turning point in the story - when it starts to pick up a bit and become a lot more of an enjoyable book. The start grabbed my attention instantly as we are introduced to the intriguing world of celebrity angels. Once the initial scene-setting is over, however, the story starts to lose some of the spark it had ignited at the beginning and my attention wavered. Thankfully, Jackson and Maddy find their worlds colliding after a few short chapters and the story sets off again at a thrilling speed.

The plot if full of excitement and romance, and Scott Speer does an admirable job combining the different aspects of the story together. While we have a romantic tale flowing between Jackson and Maddy, we are also given a gripping story of angels, immortality and demons. There is great character and story development, with Maddy and Jackson becoming easier and easier to root for as the pages turn. The mild unanswered question had me eagerly progressing through the book, anticipating a staisfying climax. Immortal City does not have the most complex of story lines, yet it still manages to present an enjoyable and engaging one.

Although, for the most part, very entertaining, there were a few issues I had with the actual writing. Most of the time, the writing was appreciable and written wonderfully well, but there were some small flaws. This book is in third person narrative, mostly split between Maddy and Jackson, though dominated by Maddy’s perspective. Or at least that was the impression I got anyway. At times, when the two characters were together, there were subtle shifts in the perspectives, jumping from Maddy’s to Jackson’s thoughts. It didn’t flow seamlessly here and could have been handled slightly better. Having said that, the issue sorted itself out as the rest of the story made it easy to overlook the flaws.

Overall, Immortal City was an entertaining read that shows us the angel genre still has more tricks up its sleeve. It may not quite leave the largest impression, but it is definitely worth picking up for a quick and easy read. This one is more for the entertainment value than an exploration into angel lore, but we all have our guilty pleasures, don’t we? Immortal City is one of mine. If you are looking for a fun read with a different stance on angel fiction, this is the perfect book to pick up.

(This review also appears on my blog)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal City.

02/21/2012 page 19
02/22/2012 page 38
11.0% "I can't seem to find much time to read! :( I wish I got paid to do this. Then I could quit work and actually get through this book! Because it's GOOD so far. Much better than I thought it might be after reading some reviews." 4 comments
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura This looks good! How is it so far? :)

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam I've had hardly any time to read, but I'm liking it so far. It would make a good movie. :)

message 3: by Eunice (new)

Eunice Angels are on TV and gossip blogs, like they are celebrities? Yay, that just sounds really interesting. Can't wait to hear what you think of this, Sam! :))

message 4: by Sam (last edited Feb 22, 2012 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam It's a really different type of angel book but I'm enjoying it. :) The angels ARE all treated like celebs - they're on billboards and have their own TV channels and everything.

message 5: by Eunice (new)

Eunice I dunno if I find it funny or what but it was certainly unique! I'd love to meet this celebrity-angels. Hope this is really good. Happy reading, Sam!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, that premise sounds so interesting. I hope it continues going good for you

message 7: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Thanks Kate. So far it's been good, but I'm starting to get a little restless now. Hopefully things will pick up again soon. :)

message 8: by Juhina (new) - added it

Juhina that cover is lust worthy. I want it!

Rogier i won money and pre ordering it

message 10: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Juhina - I think they did a great job of the cover! It works pretty well with the story.

Roro - That's great! I can't wait to see what you think. :)

message 11: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Valentine Angels are treated like celebrities?? Ooohhh, that's so cool! x) I'm really excited to read your review on this, Sam! :)

message 12: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Thanks Mimi! It's a pretty cool idea - and a lot of fun at first. I have some mixed feelings but it was a good read overall. :)

~Tina~ Great review Sam! This sounds like I might enjoy this one. Gonna give it a shot when it comes out:)

message 14: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit This sounds quite interesting Sam, I think I've overlaoded on paranormal quite a lot lately so may give it a shot, but not just yet, great review :)

message 15: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Wonderful review, Sam! I still have to conquer the angel world in YA—--**whispers**-still haven’t read Unearthly. Haha…I get into so much trouble for that. It has been in my pile forever!

message 16: by Sam (last edited Feb 27, 2012 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Thanks Tina! It's not perfect, but it's worth a read. I enjoyed it a lot! I hope you will too. :)

Jasprit, I hope you'll like it when you get round to it. I read mostly paranormal/fantasy books anyway. Though I promised myself to go for a contemporary soon. ;)

Laura, start with Angelfall by Susan Ee. That is the BEST angel book out there. Then you'll be sucked into the genre. :D Unearthly is pretty good too - I can't wait to see what you'll think of it.

message 17: by Leyoh (new)

Leyoh I completely agree with your 'wish I was paid for this comment'. Let me know if anything comes up. I'd gladly stop work to read all day.

message 18: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Leyoh wrote: "I completely agree with your 'wish I was paid for this comment'. Let me know if anything comes up. I'd gladly stop work to read all day."

Ha! If only, right? I would be happy to laze about all day with a book for company. That would be living the life. ;)

message 19: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ Excellent review Sam, as usual. Seems different from most of the angel books that are out there. Hmm...not sure if I want to pick it up yet though. :)

message 20: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam It's not an absolute must-read but it's an entertaining book if you pick it up. I hope you'll get round to it one day. :) Thanks Rachel!

message 21: by Natalie (new) - added it

Natalie Great review it sounds like an interesting different take on angels, than what we normally have might check it out if I get time :)

message 22: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam I can't actually remember a great deal about this book now, I have to admit! But it was fun at the time. :)