Emmanuel Boston's Reviews > Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex, and Power, and the Only Hope That Matters

Counterfeit Gods by Timothy Keller
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Counterfeit Gods.

01/17/2012
17.0% "The biggest mistake we can make regarding the story of Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac is that God simply requires us to be 'willing' to give up our idols, and not actually leave them."
01/26/2012
37.0% ""Tithing is a minimum standard for Christian believers. We certainly wouldn't want to be in a position of giving away less of our income than those who had so much less of an understanding of what God did to save them.""
01/28/2012
60.0% ""People 'at the top' are eager to attribute their position to their own intellect, savvy, and hard work. The reality is much more complicated. Personal connections, family environment, and what appears to be plain luck determine how successful a person is. We are the product of three things--genetics, environment, and our personal choices--but two of these three factors we have no power over."
02/01/2012
72.0% ""When idolatry is mapped onto the future--when our idols are threatened--it leads to paralyzing fear and anxiety. When it is mapped onto the past--when we fail our idols--it leads to irremediable guilt. When idolatry is mapped onto the present life--when our idols are blocked or removed by circumstances--it roils us with anger and despair.""
02/02/2012
76.0% "The true God is the only one who can cast out all idols."