Erika's Reviews > Lothaire

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, gorgeous-covers, romance
Recommended to Erika by: It's the crazy sexy cover
Read from January 16 to 17, 2012

“Everything between us is sick... twisted. And it doesn’t have to be.”
“I know.”

Notes:
1. I'm not fond with PR romance
2. This is my first book by Kresley Cole
3. Which means I've started reading the famous IAD series with the book #12 (skipping 11 books = not so wise)
4. The reason of point #3 was the damn-delicious cover (I'm a reader, not a saint)

Kresley Cole did the right thing with the title. This book is about the name. Lothaire was...

amusing, bold, charismatic, charming, competitive, convincing, eager, entertaining, expressive, funny, impactful, impressive, influencing, nervy, optimistic, persuasive, risk-taking, spirited, stimulating, thrilled, winning, witty, decisive, demanding, determined, dominant, forceful, results-oriented, ruler, self-assured, self-directed, skilled, strong-willed, tenacious

not finish yet..

ambitious, angered-easily, brassy, changeable, cynical, egotistical, exaggerates, impulsive, inconsistent, interrupts, manipulative, narcissistic, restless, show-off, unpredictable, wants credit, confused, depressed, detached, difficult, exacting, hard to please, hypochondriac, inflexible, judgmental, loner, moody, negative attitude, overly sensitive, perfectionistic, revengeful, skeptical, self-absorbed, self-critical, self-righteous, suspicious, unforgiving.

Lothaire was all of that. I meant every word.

So, was it possible? No, it wasn't. Was it normal? Nope. Crazy? Yes if he is human, but he's not. Believable character? Of course, why not? In fact, Lothaire was one of the best non-human character I've ever read and probably one of the best character in PR romance genre. He was so complicated. I won't judge whether a myth-based character is believable or not. I don't have the basis for it because vampires are myths. No one know how a normal and realistic vampire should be. I can't use human standards to judge them. It's just the way I think. Another thing that makes Lothaire different is the fact that bad heroes in romance books always experience a 'big change' when they fall in love, from bad to good. But not with Lothaire. When he fell in love with Elizabeth he gave everything he thought she needed. Of course, he'd die for her. He cherished her. But he was still the same Lothaire with his own complexion.

What about the heroine? Yes, Elizabeth was a believable down-to-earth character. She was a warrior type of heroine. I liked her. Was she a perfect match to Lothaire's character? IMHO, no, she wasn't. She gave a good fight, as strong as she could, as long as she could. In the end, she couldn't match Lothaire. I'm not saying she didn't understand him because she did understand him too well as their relationship grew stronger. But he dominated her completely. Mind and body. Because she was simply a human.

How about the romance? When I found a romance book with a charming alpha male hero, I wished I was the heroine. Lothaire was a charming alpha male hero. Despite he has dozens bad attitudes, I couldn't deny the fact that after I've finished reading I still think he was sexy, charming and charismatic. Did I wish to be the heroine? NO THANKS. He scared the hell out of me, no matter how sexy he was. Talking about sexy, the romance wasn't just sexy. Hot? Not even close. My goodness, all those lovemaking were FREAKIN' BURNING CONSUMING and MIND SHATTERING! The settee scene... *almost lost my consciousness*

I didn't really like how the story went in the last half part of the book. The problem solving was a little bit too easy. I wished there were more surprises. I know I would have liked it much better if I've already read the previous books. Despite my lack of knowledge about the series, I couldn't stop reading until I finished it. I also loved their nicknames given by each other, Leo and Lizvetta. Cute. So overall, I think Kresley Cole did a good job.

For KC emotionally charged writing, sensual erotic romance, a complicated and charismatic hero, and a fearless heroine.. oh, of course, the cover! So Lothaire. Tempting :)
Finally, 4 stars.

“Imagine my abject disappointment in you, female. Lothaire the Enemy of Old—the most feared vampire alive, the son of one king and grandson of another—paired with a mortal? Much less a mortal of no distinction. I’m given to understand that your people are worse than peasants.”
Instead of indignation, curiosity lit her face. “Wait. I came first? You didn’t find me because of her? Hey, are you saying you’re a prince?”
“Yes, peasants,” he repeated slowly. “The lowliest of the low among humans.” Then he enunciated, “Exceedingly backward and vulgar hillbillies.”
“Been called worse, mister.” At his raised brows, she exhaled impatiently. “Bootlegger, moonshiner, Elly May Clampett, mountain mama, redneck, backwoods Bessie, hick, trailer trash, yokel, and, more recently, death-row con.”
“No references to mining? I’m disappointed.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lothaire.

01/16/2012 "My first from KC. I chose to start with the 12th book in IAD series and it's not because the superb rating. Blame the cover man. [image error] Yeah, totally his fault!"
01/16/2012
17.0% "I love the heroine! You go girl!"
01/16/2012
59.0% "“Everything between us is sick . . . twisted. And it doesn’t have to be.” “Shh, shh.” He rocked her in his arms. Never had he comforted another in such a manner. He was awkward with this as well. “I h-hate you s-so much.” She sobbed so hard her body quaked against him, her tears wetting his chest. “I know.” This book probably has the strangest couple with hottest romance i've ever read so far."
88.0% "Ah... ego. Just say those three words!" 8 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sofia You know...? Starting this series with Lothaire must be quite some experience :) all the other books follow more or less the same formula, but this book has it all for a steamy one imo, since the "hero" is a (really-all-you-mentioned) bad guy.

Erika Quite some experience, indeed :) Since i don't have a clue who are these Nix, Hag, etc, etc. It was just a crazy thing to jump 11 books in the series. But i did it and finished it :D And i ended up liking the book.
I'm planning to read the book #1 soon. But i do wonder if the heroes from the other books have the similar characteristics with Lothaire. I hope not. Not that i hate him. He's unique after all. I'm just gonna freak out. But still gonna read it.

Sofia Your hopes will be fulfilled :) Lothaire is one of his kind. The one absolutely charming asshole of the whole series. He's my favorite char from the series. I so love his sarcasm (yes, I have a thing for bad boys...).
I myself, didn't start the series by order, started last year with book 11 (Dreams of a Dark Warrior) which I quite enjoyed. Then I went on reading book 10, 9 and 8, lol (backwards, yes, I am a bit crazy :) ). Just after reading "Lothaire" I decided to behave and read the rest of the series in order (on book 3 now). But the books are well writen enough to not feel totally lost if you read them out of order.
From those 2nd chars you've read, the most important is Nïx. She's the one you're going to see showing up over and over along the series. Her book is the most expected (now that Lothaire has come out).
Guess you should really give a go to the rest of the series, with this in mind: Lothaire is the best book so far.

Erika Charming asshole. I love your words!! so very much Lothaire. Thanks for giving me some peace of mind knowing there's just one Lothaire. For me he is a charming asshole best served in single dose :D
Glad to know I can read it randomly (by the by I admire your style reading backwards ;p) although I usually read series in order. Reading the last book really isn't my style, coz I have one biggest weakness which is curiosity. It could kill me. But that cover... i fell into temptation.
I'm also looking forward to Nix's book. Thanks for your info Sophia, i appreciate it :)

message 5: by Sofia (last edited Jan 23, 2012 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sofia Heh, you're welcome. It's not entirely a chronological series, so it's not at all like you read the end of the story and now the rest is uninteresting. Besides, it looks like the series is halfway... :)

Btw, regarding your review, I would like to comment something about it. Agree in most of it with you, except for one thing: Ellie is totally a match for Lothaire.
He didn't know it, but what he needed as a Bride was someone as cunning and intelligent as he was, someone *able* to manipulate/deceive others as he did, someone able and unafraid to defy him constantly. He needed someone that would be a constant challenge for him and his ability to predict everything: surprising and unexpected (because it was rare that people dared to defy him, much less best him...). Only way for Lothaire to feel respect for his Bride, and therefore, truly love her. And not only that: only way to make his life exciting again, making him feel young, alive. Therefore, happy. And Elizabeth was totally that person he needed.
Just my opinion, anyway :)

Erika It's totally ok sharing opinions with me. I understand what you're saying and i'm agree with it. What i meant when i said she's not a match was that there were moments when Lothaire gave Ellie no choice except for what he wanted. After she became vampire, she was indeed stronger physically and mentally. However, when she was still a mortal, i just felt sometimes she knocked him out, and vice versa. But mostly it's Lothaire. Ellie never left him with no choice as he did to her.
Unless you count when she almost had him decapitated ;D Ellie scored full points on that.

Sofia Ahh, yes, you're right in there.
Hehe and I believe that holds true till the end of the book: Lothaire never gave Ellie a choice, if it came to what he wanted ^^
But Ellie is totally my heroin, she never bowed to his crap, whatever she could do to fight him, she did, even if he never gave her a choice to fight back. So stubborn was one as was the other, lol. Perfect match ^^
And yes, the near-beheading was like a huge STFU with a big slap to him :) And he did go quiet. After that, I felt they were practically like equal. The exchange of "gifts" is proof of that. Giving him the middle finger, literally! Hilarious! :D Their dynamics as a couple is great!
Omg, I liked this book so much, I could discuss about it for hours :)

Erika LOL I'm cracking up. Playing over that swords flying scene and gift exchange on my head. You're so right. That was the only moment he did go quiet. Really quiet.
Yeah she's adorable, one of my favorite heroines. Smart mouth.
What's your favorite book of the series? After Lothaire, of course :)

Sofia Hmm... My favorite book after "Lothaire"? I think book 11, because it was my first of the series. But followed very close by book 2, you gotta love the Lykae ("werefolves").
All males in this series are possessive alpha's: "You're MINE!! Accept it!" sort of guys, and the Lykae are probably the worst, but they are also so sweet :)

Claire Love your review!