Katie's Reviews > Exile & Pride: Disability, Queerness, and Liberation

Exile & Pride by Eli Clare

Jan 17, 12

bookshelves: to-read, owned, req, queer, trans, non-fiction, disability, college
Recommended for: everyone who is willing to take it with an open mind

Read this for class. I found some things (though they were minor, petty things in all honesty) hard to latch onto on a personal level but what this book says is so important. Clare is fearless and funny, strong and stubborn in the way that a good example of critical thought on society should be. I enjoyed the book and the discussions had on it very much. One of the most vital ideas contained within this book is the idea that nobody is a perfect all-righteous activist. Things in life will contradict and you may find value in two very opposite things, wondering where you (should) stand. It is worth it to try and make peace with that, to acknowledge the layers of human in all of us and the ways struggles may connect and what one problem may say about another.

It was a great introduction to me to the issues around disability. To understand the situation that disabled people are in, an able-bodied person needs to hear it from the source.

The afterword is especially important to those wanting to make a difference. I recommend multiple re-readings of that passage and I will ensure to take my own advice on that.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exile & Pride.