Bonnie (A Backwards Story)'s Reviews > Struck

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

Aug 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy
Read from May 08 to 09, 2012

When I first saw the cover for STRUCK and read the initial summary blurb, I was immediately captivated. I anticipated a book with a girl who could control lightning like a superhero, destined to save her city from harm. I love stories that deal with elemental magic, which is one reason I enjoy the AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER TV series and Brigid Kemmerer's new Elemental series, and also why Antony John's upcoming ELEMENTAL is one of my most-highly-wanted books this year.

With the above paragraph in mind, this is why I couldn't find myself completely in love with STRUCK the way everyone else seems to be. I was expecting superheroes and elemental magic. I wasn't expecting a book about an Apocalyptic Doomsday Cult rising to prominence. It's my own fault for inventing my own idea of this book in my head, because if I hadn't, I would have enjoyed STRUCK so much more.

I did enjoy the way Jennifer Bosworth built her world and showed the way people flock to cults. She developed the False Prophet and his followers wells; I could see why someone lost would join his groups and become a believer. In particular, Mia's mother becomes a stand-out character, and I was always excited to read more scenes with her. The book reads fast because it takes place over the course of three days, so there is a lot of character development, plot revelations, and story arcs to fit into a short period of time. While this would be completely unbelievable in most books, the fact that this book occurs in the face of mass hysteria with little time for characters to think of the future and only of the present works.

This one may or may not be for you. Go into it expecting Apocalyptic Doomsday Cults and not Superheroes with Lightning Magic and you'll be more ready to embrace the story Bosworth is trying to tell than I was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Struck.

05/08/2012 page 165
05/08/2012 page 211
57.0% "huh. i wonder if i just discovered the answer to a secret. *muses*"
05/08/2012 page 299
80.0% "haha, I'm right :)"