Nick's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Oct 01, 13

Read in January, 2012

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog

When it came to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, there were people who loved it and there were those who didn't like it at all.
Unfortunately, I figured in the latter.

The story is about Mara Dyer, who wakes up in hospital with no memory of the accident that killed her 3 friends and left her in a coma for 2-3 days.
After that, weird things start to happen to Mara. Her parents decide to move to Florida and there, Mara meets Noah Shaw, her love interest. This is where the whole story ends up being ruined.

Mara is the kind of character I found difficult to take a liking to for some reason. I get that she was going through a lot, but there was something with her voice that frustrated me.
To be honest, she starts out as being an okay character, but when she meets Noah, she becomes another version of "Bella Swan" ; pathetic and love-sick.

Noah was hard to like too. He seemed too perfect and I hate perfect characters.
He's the bad-boy who's a huge player, but when Mara comes, he's infatuated with her. Definitely no the kind of male character I like.

The story starts out as being really interesting, but the romance ruins everything. I personally think that this book would have been better off without the romance.
I didn't feel anything between the two main characters and so I felt that their relationship was pretty lame.

To be honest, I didn't have the courage to finish the book. It was getting so boring since the plot stayed in place and didn't move forward.
It bothered me that too much attention was given to the romance instead of the actual story line.

Overall, I didn't like this book at all. I found it disappointing and a complete waste of time. All I can say is, don't judge the book by its cover!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tanja (Tanychy) St. Delphi I'm currently reading this. While I still haven't figured some things, I'm getting annoyed by cliche moments here -.-

message 2: by Nick (new) - rated it 1 star

Nick I'm sorry it's annoying you. I know a lot of people enjoyed this title. For some reason, I never understood the book nor did I get the fascination everyone had with the guy. :(
I can't even remember what the story was!
I hope it gets better for you.