Ashley P's Reviews > Destination Truth: Memoirs of a Monster Hunter

Destination Truth by Josh Gates

Nov 18, 14

bookshelves: travel, biography, own-it
Read from January 15 to 17, 2012

To say that this book was amazing and inspiring to me would be a very big understatement. I originally picked up this book because I am a huge fan of Josh Gates and the Destination Truth show, but I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is.

This book is not just about the creatures the Destination Truth team studies and looks for, hunts shall we say but also about how lazy we've come, how obsessed with safety we are and how little we are willing to take an adventure as North Americans. It inspired me to travel and I think I will be widening the list of places I want to know now, largely in part to the way that they are described in this book.

Josh's written voice is just as amusing as the voice-overs he does for his own TV show.

So thanks Josh, I think I'm going to pull out a globe and decide where to go on my next adventure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destination Truth.

Quotes Ashley Liked

“This isn't my last brush with catastrophe while making Destination Truth. Rather, it's merely the opening act in a cabaret of close calls, all in the name of exploration. I'm not saying that making D.T. is dangerous; it's not, per se. It's just that when you go out of your way to find adventure, sometimes adventure bites you on the ass. The key is figuring out how to walk away in one piece.”
Josh Gates, Destination Truth: Memoirs of a Monster Hunter

“The magnificent thing about her [Amelia Earhart] is, in the eyes of the world, she simply never died. Her fear never witnessed, her failure never recorded, her shiny twin-engine Electra never recovered. Earhart's legacy of inspiration is amplified because her adventure is perpetual. We don't think of her as dead; we think of her as missing. She is forever flying, somewhere beyond Lae, over that limitless blue horizon.”
Josh Gates, Destination Truth: Memoirs of a Monster Hunter

01/15/2012 page 70
24.0% ""If travel has momentum and wants to stay in motion, as I mentioned earlier, then adventure has the gravitational pull of a black hole. The more you do it, the more you find a way to keep doing it. It becomes something vital to the system. Adventure rewrites the routine of our lives and wakes us sharply from the comforts of the familiar.""