Robert Beveridge's Reviews > Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway

Lucifer, Vol. 1 by Mike Carey

Aug 19, 2008

bookshelves: 2008-goal-list, cuy-co-pub-lib, finished
Read in July, 2008

Mike Carey, Lucifer: Devil in the Gateway (Vertigo, 2001)

Lucifer was always one of the more interesting characters in the Sandman universe, though he didn't get much screen time. Enter Mike Carey (John Constantine: Hellblazer), who takes the threads Gaiman left in Sandman and runs with them. Lucifer, having abdicated his throne, is now the owner of a small bar/club in Los Angeles, playing the piano and mingling with the natives with his longtime companion Mazikeen. That, however, does not stop him from messing in mortal affairs every once in a while. But there's more to it than that-- it seems Heaven will, with distaste, use Lucifer as a hitman when it doesn't wish to get its own hands dirty. And thus we meet Amenadiel, an angel with a mission: to hire the Lightbringer. Wheels within wheels within wheels; the Gaiman legacy is in good hands.

As much as I enjoyed the all-too-brief Death spinoff, the stories never held the complexity that was both Gaiman's atmosphere and his greatest strength. Carey, on the other hand, is a perfect channel for it. I admit I like this book a great deal more now, having read volumes 2 and 3, than I did when I first read it; so much of this is setup that it doesn't feel like a great deal actually happens. Rest assured, though, the series takes off quickly just after this. *** ½

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucifer, Vol. 1.