Lara's Reviews > The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Jul 16, 12

bookshelves: mystery, africa, read-in-2012
Read on July 16, 2012, read count: 1

Uhhhhhh...ok?

I've heard nothing really but good things about this book and this series for the last...well, however long it's been since it first came out. But I just don't get the hype.

McCall's way of telling this story didn't work for me at all. There's this weird thing where the second chapter suddenly switches to the first-person point of view of the main character's dead father as he tells his life story. Is this all supposed to be something he told her at some point? Is it something that was written down, even though Precious has just made a comment right before about how his life was unrecorded? It just felt awkward and out of place, whatever it was supposed to be.

And the whole rest of the book is told in little anecdotes. It's choppy and there's pretty much no real plot or character development, despite the dead dad info dump at the beginning and the few bits about Precious' early life. I couldn't bring myself to care about anything at all in this book. Even the part at the very end that I guess was supposed to make me smile just left me scratching my head in confusion because it comes absolutely out of nowhere and feels completely unbelievable.

At least it's a quick read. I'm definitely not going to bother with any more of the series though, and this also makes me think twice about attempting any of McCall's other series.

Just...thoroughly beh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.

07/16/2012 page 22
9.0% "I'm confused by this book already."