Liza Wiemer's Reviews > Flyaway

3152001
Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: arc, bea
Read in January, 2012

I received the ARC of FLYAWAY from the BEA. What attracted me to this novel was the author, Lucy Christopher. I had read her first novel, STOLEN, which I thought was absolutely brilliant. FLYAWAY is quite different than STOLEN but also interesting. It's a MG novel narrated by Isla, pronounced I - la. Isla has a close relationship with her father. Together they share a love for birds, especially swans. As the swans migrate, Isla and her dad track them around their community.

SPOILER - SO BEWARE -
On one of those excursions the father collapses and is taken to the hospital. He is very sick and eventually needs a heart valve transplant. While worrying about her father, Isla meets a sick boy named Harry. The two of them become close friends. And then a lone swan enters their lives. To read the description of this swan's antics was quite interesting.
MGers will learn a lot about swans, how to navigate complex relationships, and how to cope with a family member who is sick.
This is a great book for kids who are going through tough times. Isla will become a friend who can relate to their fears.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flyaway.