Charlyn 's Reviews > Wonderstruck

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Jan 15, 2012

bookshelves: adventure, disabilities, family_story, fiction, picture-book, realistic-fiction, strong-male-character, strong-female-character
Read on January 15, 2012 , read count: 1

Two stories about two deaf children, a boy and a girl, set fifty years apart: the boy's story is told in the narrative; the girl's story is told through pictures until the two stories intersect. Then the balance of the story is told in both pictures and narrative. Both children have a mission that has taken them away from home and both stories are strongly influenced by the fact that each is deaf and by the American Museum of Natural History.

I read the book in one sitting, trying to figure out what the two stories had to do with one another and amazed at the parallel pacing of the two tales. Those who've read Hugo Cabret will be familiar with the necessity of viewing the illustrations carefully to follow the story, but it certainly isn't necessary to have read one to understand the other. I'm not sure whether it's a case of just liking the most recently read book better, but I think this one had more emotional pull for me. And, even though two stories are unfolding at the same time, I think children will have no problem following and liking each of the adventures and the final solution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wonderstruck.