Randy's Reviews > Prisoner of Tehran: A Memoir

Prisoner of Tehran by Marina Nemat

Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: january12, non-fiction
Read from January 15 to 28, 2012

Cruelty comes in many forms, and hardship never seems to be far away for Marina. Growing up in Iran as the regime of the Shah falls, and a time of great restrictions and persecution comes with the fundamentalist Muslim government of the Ayatollah Khomeini, Marina experiences loss and suffering. When she speaks out against the government, it is only a matter of waiting for her arrest. When it happens the nightmare really begins as she suffers through torture, and a death sentence only to be reduced by one of her interrogators. This book retells her life in prison with memories drawn from her life before all these troubles occurred.

I picked it up because it was given to me by a colleague, and coincidentally I had heard the author speaking on the radio that same day.

I finished it because I was drawn into the story and wanted to read more in the hope that some good and kindness would be evident.

I would recommend this book to Jasmine and Larisa. They both have a strong sense of social justice and would admire Marina's strength.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prisoner of Tehran.

01/15/2012 page 20
7.0% "While the absurdity of her arrest is like in Kafka's "The Trial", it is real. One has to wonder at the cruelty that resides within our species. One also has to be thankful that we live in Canada."
01/23/2012 page 42
14.0% "Somehow, knowing that she has survived to write this, makes it that much more remarkable. Where does the strength come from?"
01/23/2012 page 112
37.0% "The suffering that humans cause each other, is so often based on religion. Why do we not focus on the love that God has for us all?"
01/25/2012 page 142
46.0% "We lead a privileged life. While I was whiling away the hours as a teenager, Marina was in prison for doing what I take for granted: Speaking her opinion."
01/26/2012 page 157
51.0% "What would I do when faced with such impossible decisions? What would I do to keep my family safe? Would I sacrifice my beliefs? What, ultimately, is more important?"
01/27/2012 page 182
59.0% "I admire Marina's ability, at so young an age, to get out of bed and make an effort to live. Yes she question why God would do these things to her, but she doesn't let these questions deter her from living. This is strength epitomized."
01/27/2012 page 228
75.0% "Marina has such strength. Even when all is against her she is not afraid to speak. In some ways, though what Ali did to her is unforgivable he allowed her a place where she could once more live."