Mathew Reuther's Reviews > How Not to Write a Novel: 200 Mistakes to Avoid at All Costs If You Ever Want to Get Published

How Not to Write a Novel by Howard Mittelmark

Jan 15, 12

This book is one of those which should be read by people who are convinced that they are good writers, but are actually relatively awful.

There are loads of people who make the mistakes in this book who DO get published. But that's writing in general. Plenty of people who can write get nowhere and people who can't do.

But as a general rule most people who are trying to write will find that they DO engage in some of these 200 mistakes. At that point the reader can at least consider the why, and judge for themselves if they care to change their writing.

Basic, but it's a very quick read.

As for it being funny? Not exceptionally. Once or twice I was amused. More often than not because I considered something I had read ELSEWHERE ad thought poorly of, rather than due to what was written in the book itself.

I can recommend to everyone who has the extra money to spend on a quick read that's not aimed at making you perfect, but rather warning about POTENTIAL pitfalls in your writing. (Again, plenty of people prove the authors of this book wrong on a regular basis . . .)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Not to Write a Novel.