Daniel's Reviews > Into the Wild Nerd Yonder

Into the Wild Nerd Yonder by Julie Halpern

M_50x66
Jan 15, 12

Read in January, 2012

This book should have been around when I was in high school, maybe then there would have been some girls to game with.

It's interesting to compare this to "Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress", by Shelly Mazzanoble. That book was intended to be an introduction to D&D for women, and was published by Wizards of the Coast to promote D&D. It didn't seem to do a very good job. Maybe it sold gangbusters and there a ton of all-lady groups killing monsters, but nobody seems to have heard of them.

This book is about a teenaged girl's life, and mentioned gaming as something she tried and found fun. The book isn't really about gaming, it's about being a teenager and discovering who your real friends are, and how to tell. But it made my wife interested in trying D&D in a way that "Confessions" never did. Wizards of the Coast, look up Julie Halpern, she's the publicity you need.

I really liked the girl's family; her brother and parents seemed like kindly, supportive types in contrast with the wackiness going on in her life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild Nerd Yonder.